Autofocus button not working on SX70 SONAR

Discussions on the SX-70 and the entire series 500, 1000, 2000 ...
ktomlinson74
P.......

Autofocus button not working on SX70 SONAR

Messagepar ktomlinson74 » dim. 28 juin 2020 / 13:33 pm

I have a SONAR SX70 and the autofocus works fine. It's so quick!

However, when I press the button above the focus ring to disengage the autofocus, it opens (shows me the red tab) but does not stay open.

Is this right? I assume the button would stick open and then allow me to use the focus wheel.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

nigelS
P.......
Voir la galerie photo de ce membre

Messagepar nigelS » lun. 29 juin 2020 / 10:36 am

The manual focus tab should stay open to allow you to use the focus wheel; there is a small lever on the front panel which moves to the right (as you look at the camera) to engage/disengage the manual focus mechanism. You can switch back to auto either by pressing the red tab or just by shutting the camera. It does sound as though yours isn't engaging the focus wheel to the lens properly. Do you have the instruction booklet? If not, then here is a good source https://www.cameramanuals.org/polaroid_ ... step-1.pdf

ktomlinson74
P.......

Thanks

Messagepar ktomlinson74 » lun. 29 juin 2020 / 12:38 pm

Hi. I don't have the booklet. Thanks.

I can see a little silver arm come out when I press the button but it doesn't stay out. I feel it should latch onto something but am not sure what.

It currently comes out towards the auto focus button.

nigelS
P.......
Voir la galerie photo de ce membre

Messagepar nigelS » mer. 01 juillet 2020 / 11:01 am

Are you pushing the button far enough back into the camera? There is a small detent mechanism which as far as I remember is spring loaded. It sounds to me as though its worn and not locking properly. I don't know of anyone in the UK/Europe who can repair the SX-70 although this company in Seattle is highly recommended https://landcameras.com. However, its probably not worth spending the large sums involved in shipping etc against buying another Sonar Autofocus locally.

Revenir vers « Polaroid® SX-70 & 1000, 2000... Land Camera »