Questions about the condition of camera(s) and film

Discussions on the Polaroid® and Fujifilm instant film: 600 film - SX 70 film - PX 100 and PX 600 - Image/Spectra, Type 100, Type 80, 4x5 Inch, 8x10 Inch, I-Zone, Instax ...
Jaxnif
P.......

Questions about the condition of camera(s) and film

Messagepar Jaxnif » sam. 01 février 2014 / 03:30 am

Hi,

Im a new polaroid camera user. So new that I haven't even taken a photo yet. For my birthday yesterday I got a bunch of polaroid cameras and film. When I say a bunch I mean a good amount. My late grandfather was an avid photographer and had a collection of cameras.

So far I only have 4 of the many, the rest are at my dads place and I will grab 'em later an update the post. I have a 360, 440, 450 and an sx 70 alpha 1. I wan't to use the sx 70.

I will eventually start ordering film and what not from project impossible, but until that time I want to use the film I have.

So I have 2 questions:
1) How do I know if the film is good? I have a bunch of unopened boxes that have been stored for years in various places and varying temperatures. Are they safe to use in my camera?

2) I don't even know if my camera works, but if I can use the film, will taking a photo be enough to see if it works? Is there anything I should know or do?

Here are some shitty pictures, if you want any closer up pictures or anything let me know. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8xps0ujqrld0pub/J8NCTEPrif

Thanks for your help,
Jaxnif

xya
Polaroid 195 NPC

Messagepar xya » sam. 01 février 2014 / 09:44 am

welcome to the forum. that's a nice bunch of cameras.

my advice: get a pack of impossible film first. you will have good film and a good battery. put it into your sx70, follow the instructions on the film box and see whether the camera is fine.

seen from your photos the film you have will most probably be dead. but once you know that your camera is working, you can try the old film and see whether it's dead or not.

good luck and keep us updated.
xya
matos : mamiya universal avec tout (même dos instax); 360 250 100 propack; mp4 optiques div en 100 + 4x5; sx70 alpha sx670 one600pro; palette 72-10; 8x10 processor; multishot 84; bigshot; spd360; cu-5 3" et 5", en 100 et 4x5; daylab + copy pro; instax 500af 210 100 50 sq10; lomo instax wide sqare belair; mint RF70; diana holga lc-a lc wide instax. beh oui, c'est moins qu'avant.
sites : http://www.120folder.com http://www.a7camera.com http://www.instantphoto.eu http://www.135compact.com http://www.plastikcam.com/

Rincevent
Polaroid 180
Voir la galerie photo de ce membre

Messagepar Rincevent » sam. 01 février 2014 / 09:53 am

Wow ... happy guy

I would say ... try and see what happens.

Open the camera, check and clean the rolls.

If you have a fresh empty film pack (with a battery ok) place it in your camera and try (you can place in the pack a polaroid picture and see if the picture is ejected) ... If you listen the fabulous sound (music ?) of the camera ... Go with your old films.

As your films are old, the conservation conditions are very important so it's difficult to predict the résultat (dry chemicals, dead battery) but I think they can't damage your camera.

Jaxnif
P.......

Messagepar Jaxnif » sam. 01 février 2014 / 18:29 pm

Thanks for the quick responses, they have been very helpful.

So I tried using the old film... (its use by date was 1978, the year my camera was made)

And nothing, not a click or a sound. Oh well.

Until I order some new film from project impossible, is there anything I can do with the old film even though it cant be used?

Also, is there like an eject button for the film? Cus i had some trouble removing it, trying to pinch it by the sides on the front, it was very annoying and hard to do. I didn't want to break off the tab on the front.

Thank You,
Jaxnif

*I will post more pics and what not when I see the other cameras either today or tommorow

Rincevent
Polaroid 180
Voir la galerie photo de ce membre

Messagepar Rincevent » sam. 01 février 2014 / 19:34 pm

The battery inside the filmspack is dead ... I suppose ...

There is no eject button ... Your way of doing seems ok ... In doubt make a search on the net for a youtube video to see how people proceed to do that.

Try to find an empty pack of a new film. Normally , the battery is ok and you can test the ejection mecanism.

I've seen that it's possible to save old film. But it's not easy : you have to transfer the pics from the old pack to an empty new (battery ok) pack but no light, in the black !

jonrev
Pol.....

Messagepar jonrev » dim. 02 février 2014 / 12:19 pm

Nice score!

The camera will expose and eject the film automatically, just let it do it's thing. You don't want to fart around with these cameras too much - they're rather fragile.

I can gaurantee from the packing that the film will be dead and dry (that's pre-TimeZero stuff - ancient); really, anything before 2006ish expiration is pretty much shot at this point. Save it in the packaging as some nice display pieces. Impossible has been throwing out discounts like crazy, recently - keep watch on their Facebook, I'm sure they have another deal coming up soon. You just missed a $7-off deal that ended Friday, unfortunately.

As for your Automatics - convert those suckers to AAA's and pick up some FP-100C. Have fun!

Jaxnif
P.......

Messagepar Jaxnif » lun. 03 février 2014 / 16:09 pm

Sorry im posting a day late. So I got a 103 and a bunch of old film, all of the film for the sx-70 expired in 1980.

I added it to the same album as I posted earlier. Just a box filled with film.

I also ordered a 3 pack of the impossible film, it was on sale. And holy shit is film expensive. Now I actually have to make sure im taking good photos since there a little more than $3 a pop. So that will be fun.

Thanks for all the help!
Jax

Revenir vers « Questions about Polaroid® films »