Shooting with expired polaroid film

A Polameet between fans of Polaroid®, a problem with the web site, the news of Polaroid® Passion, the rogue's gallery of members ... In short, the Polaroid® Passion lounge!
Theezm
P.......
Voir la galerie photo de ce membre

Shooting with expired polaroid film

Messagepar Theezm » sam. 06 juillet 2013 / 19:03 pm

Apparently I've had a bad week on my hands. At first I tried shooting with a roll of Type 42 Roll film with my J66 which turned out to be very very dry. And today I received a pack of black and white type 107 pack film for my super shooter; it was also dried up.

My biggest question for the polaroid community is this: if I were to shoot with expired polaroid film, from what year should the film have lasted until? My 42 roll film expired in 1968 while my 107 pack film expired in 1971. Should I be looking for film that expired in the 1980s or 1990s?

I'd love to know! polarf

ulf
Fuji FP-1

Messagepar ulf » sam. 06 juillet 2013 / 22:03 pm

hey,

depends on the film.

but generally, i would say that you can forget about films older than from the 2000's. 90's are sometimes ok, forget about the rest.

from my side, i now only buy films from the last batch, 2009. the rest is too expensive for what it's worth.

definitely, 1971 would be only for your collection of polaroid boxes...

b
Mr. CONNER: Wait a second, I was here first.
AL BUNDY: Yeah, yeah, so were the Indians.

A DONNER / ECHANGER:
pièces détachées pour pack 100

3rdTrick
Polar...

Messagepar 3rdTrick » sam. 06 juillet 2013 / 23:23 pm

I just came across an old pack of packfilm in a Hassy Back. I don't know how old it was but it was labeled "ER" and had 8 exposures. I transferred it to a working camera losing the first exposure. Out of curiosity I tried the rest and a couple turned out all green but most were mostly dried up and left no image.

"hint' I will be using the Hassy Back to convert a roll film camera to use packfilm...

I see some ridiculous prices on expired film but I cannot imagine buying film that might not even be usable. I always do look for it at flea markets hoping to get it cheap just for fun.

ulf
Fuji FP-1

Messagepar ulf » dim. 07 juillet 2013 / 00:01 am

i don't know if there is any way to date the films according to their serial numbers. well, there is for sure a way, but never put my hands on it or found any info about it.

it happened to me too to find old films in cameras, or backs, and it is always a thrill when you try them! surprisingly, i got something most of the times. the thing is that you don't expect much, so even if you got half a picture, it is kind of a victory.

yours worked pretty well!

and you're right, even if the 2-3 first pictures aren't working, keep trying as the ones in the middle of the pack always have more chance to be in working order.

b
Mr. CONNER: Wait a second, I was here first.
AL BUNDY: Yeah, yeah, so were the Indians.

A DONNER / ECHANGER:
pièces détachées pour pack 100

tripleZone
Po......

Messagepar tripleZone » lun. 08 juillet 2013 / 07:54 am

My experience is: It always depends on the storage and the film type as well. I shot on 1995 expired 100Plus and got great results - but a 2007 expired 690 was totally red. There is no general rule except ulf's remarks. Try!
-tripleZone-

Theezm
P.......

Messagepar Theezm » mer. 10 juillet 2013 / 03:08 am

Yes I will! :wink:

Revenir vers « Polaroid® Passion community »